Shipping Python libraries is easy! ...until you want to use a C library. How do you easily and reliably deliver software to users when they may not have the libraries you depend on, or even a compiler? How do you handle the significant differences between linux, OS X, Windows, FreeBSD, and other platforms Python runs on?
We'll walk through:
- The requirements for building C modules in Python.
- Why those requirements contribute to bad UX and create barriers to adoption.
- How wheels can be used to surmount many of these challenges.
- What kind of infrastructure is required to build these wheels.
- The advantages and potential disadvantages of binary distribution.